Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Food...Redux!

Hi all,

This is Casey. Remember the 'To Be Continued.." thing I mentioned back in September?* Well this is it. It's happening. The continuing is going on right here and now people!

The 2nd installment of our food journey took us to Taste in West Hollywood. It is a very cute bistro like restaurant that makes food. I'm gonna call it 'new American' food since they seem to mix a number of ethnic things and I heard that on TV somewhere so it seems like it fits.



Janine and I were once again joined by her mom Anna and her uncle Frank. As an appetizer I got the white truffle oil and mushroom mac and cheese. It was amazing and I don't even like mushrooms. The cheese was thick and creamy and browned on top to give it some crispness. The pasta was nice and soft without being mushy. And there was truffle oil in it as well, apparently. Also we all shared the Calamari fritti with Chipotle Aioli whch was also excellent. And we have had a lot of calamari the world over to compare it to. This was very light and not greasy in the slightest. Also the aioli was very airy and the chipotle gave just a hint of smokiness and warmth without being hot.


All in all a very auspicious start.


For the main course I had the Kobe beef burger and Janine had the lasagna. I hadn't actually had Kobe beef before and found that (not surprisingly with all the hype), it was very good. Maybe not worth the price of paying a Japanese guy to massage a cow everyday and feed it beer but hey to each his own, right?

Janine got the lasagna which was also great, though in my opinion it is hard to go wrong with lasagna. I believe Frank got the skirt steak salad and Anna got the ravioli, both of which they enjoyed very much.

In the end everything was excellent, the setting is cute and I would go back or recommend it to anyone, but for the rehersal dinner it is a little small and it has more of a bistro feel than a restaurant. So the hunt continues!





*I didn't say it was going to be continued soon!

No comments: